Cal-Nev-Ha District of CKI
Home About Events Resources Community Links Contact Circle K International

     You are here: Community > SUNBLOG > Current Post

 
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Your Circle K Year Can Feel Like ...

Climbing a mountain sometimes.

I can recall my freshman year in college (2005 ... wow, I've been around), and walking into my first ever Circle K meeting. It was held in a conference room, and with 12 seats available, 3 were empty, and the other seats were filled with very different people. I sat down on the farthest corner to hear about what was so exciting about this organization that could keep me around.

At first, nothing really caught my attention, until the Lieutenant Governor at the time discussed a Key Club Regional Training Conference, something I had attended every year back in high school. I immedietly jumped at the opportunity. After raising my hand and asking if I could head it up, I was told I was too new, and that I had no idea what the Kiwanis Family stood for in relation to Circle K and Key Club.

I was determined to prove him wrong. I attended other events, I helped try to do every possible to make him see what I could do. In the end, did it work? No clue, because I was having too much fun being a part of this amazing Circle K Club. Now, I was determined to help as many as I could, and to have as much fun as possible. I saw things that could improve in the club, as well as new ideas that could potentially help our club grow. I instantly looked into becoming an officer.

The next year I became Vice President, and told myself that in order to make the club successful, I needed to tell myself that I'm in this organization to help others be better, and not just myself. That I will become a better person through the experiences I share, and not just through my personal successes.

I wish I could tell you there is an easy way to do this, but there just isn't. I just did what I thought was the best for my club. When an email came out, and it needed some information, I jumped at it. If I I had a question, I would ask my President, or my Lieutenant Governor. I immersed myself in District activities to try to meet and greet club members who were part of amazing clubs throughout the rest of the CNH District.

I never let anyone tell me it can't be done. :)

Yeah, sometimes your Circle K year feels like a rollercoaster ride, but even so, you know deep down you'll continue to push through simply because of the impact you know you are going to make on your community, as well as your peers.

I stand here today as the CNH Governor sure, but I sure as heck didn't do it alone. And even this year, my Circle K year feels like getting my wisdom teeth pulled sometimes.

But I'm going to tough it through, because I want to see you do the very same and see how your club have yet another tremendous year.

It can feel like climbing mountains sometimes, but somebody has got to step up and do it. And if I could put all my money on a group of people to do it, it would be all of you.

Let's turn faces, and have fun doing it. Good luck at Fall Tabling!



posted by Chris Plasterer at

  
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 


Home | About | Events | Resources | Community | Links | Contact
© 2008-2009 California-Nevada-Hawaii District of Circle K International Designed Francis Casanova